- Atal Tinkering Lab (ATL) April 15, 2020
The Government of India under the AIM(Atal Innovation Mission) by NITI Aayog has proposed a revolutionary initiative in the form of Atal Tinkering Laboratories(ATL) for Indian students. The AIM has a vision to “Cultivate 1 million children in India as Neoteric Innovators”, to fulfill this vision it is establishing ATLs in various eligible schools across India. The Atal Tinkering Lab powered by Tinkerly comprises 180+ tools such as learning DIY kits & educational equipment based on – science, electronics, 3D printers, robotics, etc. in accordance with the guidelines of NITI Aayog.
What are the Benefits of ATL Lab in Schools?
The Atal Tinkering Lab is a workspace that provides a perfect learning environment for curious students by engaging them in Do-it-Yourself activities which will help them cultivate the habit of learning-by-doing. ATL targets the young innovators of Class VI-XII and helps them in learning innovative skills like problem-solving, creative thinking abilities, and adaptive learning, etc. The students are provided with tools & equipment using which they develop a solid foundation of STEM learning concepts in an easy manner.
Tinkerly provides schools with four ATL lab packages that are created as per the guidelines of NITI Aayog.
What is the Selection Criteria for setting up ATLs in your schools?
The schools who wish to apply for the ATL lab grant must meet the following criteria:
1. The schools have to allocate a lab built-up area of at least 1500 sq. feet for plain areas and if the school is located in the hill area(Jammu & Kashmir, Nagaland, etc) or Island states( Andaman & Nicobar, Lakhsdeep, etc.). then they need to allocate an area of 1000 sq. feet for the ATL lab.
2. The School must have the proper availability of infrastructures like a computer lab with a good Internet facility( 2 MBPS speed or above), a science lab, a steady electricity connection, a library for learning, and a playground to do recreational activities.
3. The Teaching staff of highly qualified & experienced teachers of Science, Maths and Computer Science streams.
4. The participation level of school in Science competitions like National Talent Search Examination(NTSE) and Junior Science Talent Search Examination(JSTS) and other national or state level science innovation-based fair or events.
5. The staff & enrolled students of the applying school must have a regular attendance of 75% and above over the past 3 years.
6. It also depends upon the performance of school students in the 10th & 12th board exams that are held in the past 3 years. The school will we judged on the basis of how much their students scored from 60% of marks to 90% of marks in the last 3 years.
7. For Enrollment, there must be a min. 400 students in Class 6th – Class 10th. There is a relaxation for schools which are located in hilly areas they need min. 250 students in classes from 6th-10th.
8. The School must have partnership relations with its Alumni & Mentors. An Alumni is a person who has expertise in the technology background or has 10 years of experience in the field. Mentors can be individuals or a company that is helping kids by doing guest lectures, providing mentorship support in completing projects, and clearing doubts of students, etc.
How to Fill the Online Form For ATL Lab grant?
In order to fill the online form you need to login to the website of http://aimapp2.aim.gov.in/
You need to submit details like the School’s official email id, UDISE code., etc.
For a better understanding of how you can fill the Online Application form for the ATL lab, you must watch this video.
For your ease, we have created a video on how to fill Online form for the Atal Tinkering Lab in Hindi as well. You can check out the video here.
The Entire Form is basically divided into 4 parts:
1. Contact Information of the School
In this part, you need to enter general details about the school like Name, Complete Address, etc. Then you need to enter the contact details about the Principal, Vice-Principal and ATL In-charge of the school such as email id, mobile no. (linked with Aadhar card.) etc.
2. Basic Information Of School
This part deals with providing the basic information related to the school like its year of establishment, type of school (govt or private), etc. The information details asked in this form are as follows:
- size of teachers of Maths, Science & Computer Science Stream respectively,
- The total enrollment of the students from classes 6th to 10th.
- Highest qualification of Principal & Atal Tinkering Lab In-charge and their stream of education.
3. Performance of School
This part deals with judging the schools on the basis of its past 3 years’ performance. With the help of this part, NITI Aayog decides which school has performed quite well on the basis of
- The academic performance of the students in the 10th &12th board exams
- Participation level of schools in science-based events & fairs
- Awards win in the competitions
- If the schools have won awards in science competitions and have a brilliant academic record then chances of getting the Atal Tinkering Lab increases.
- It also judges the school on the basis of their partnership with Mentors & Alumni and their participation in the wellbeing of the school students.
4. ATL related Information
The ATL lab related information such as :
- Whether the school satisfies the basic criteria for build-up space for Atal Tinkering Lab
- Availability of proper infrastructure facilities.
- Details of alumni & Mentors engaged.
At the end of this form, you have to write a 50-word answer on why the school must be selected for ATL.
After completing all this you need to submit the form.16976